Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Freddie Update

I know many of our friends and family have been waiting for an update after our visit to MD Anderson last week.  We are faced with an overwhelming journey ahead of us and it has taken some time to wrap our minds around all that lies ahead.

The surgeon is confident that surgery can be performed.  Freddie will have his entire right lung removed followed by a chemo wash during the surgery.  He will have to spend at least 7-10 days in the hospital recovering and at least another week in Houston before he can come home.  I'm estimating we will be in Houston about a month for the prep, surgery, hospital stay, and recovery.  We will come home for about a month or so and then need to return to Houston a week before he starts radiation.  He will do at least 5 weeks of radiation every day and need to stay another week.  That adds up to almost 2 months that we will be in Houston for his radiation treatments.

The most common question I am asked is if a person can live on one lung, and obviously, it is possible if the surgeon is going to perform the surgery.  Apparently, is is fairly common for patients with mesothelioma to have this surgery done.  Obviously, Freddie will have some physical limitations, but will hopefully be able to live a fairly normal life.  As of right now, his diagnosis is still Thymoma, although every doctor has told us the way it has manifested in his body looks like mesothelioma.

Needless to say, we will be getting some kind of furnished apartment {hopefully}.  There are many decisions to make, things to organize and changes coming in the next few months.  It is a lot to take in.  I think Freddie is mostly stressed about providing for his family, staying healthy and having a successful surgery and treatment.  I'm stressed about having the energy to take care of him and our son.  To be all that I need to be for both of my boys.  We don't really know anyone in Houston and this is a scary time when we need all the support we can get.  Please pray for our strength, courage, and grace as we face this difficult time.

We have also been faced with some needless stressful situations lately.  Our plates are overflowing and we are trying to focus on what Freddie needs and wants to do before we go.  Please pray for peace for our family.  Please also pray that God will guide the surgeon's and all doctors and healthcare professionals hands, decisions, and minds.  We speak wisdom, safety, and complete healing into this situation.

Your prayers, thoughts of encouragement, sweet notes, calls, and texts, and support of our little family mean so much to us and especially to Freddie.  Thank you for being there and thinking of us.  It is humbling to imagine all the prayers and thoughts that turn our way.

As soon as we know more, we will let you know.  I do not want to post any dates in a public location.  This is all we know right now.

I like to post bible verses because they help me focus on what I need to.  I have never thought, nor will I ever think that I am a perfect person.  I am simply a woman in need of a savior who loves me, gives me grace and forgiveness and peace.  

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33

No comments: